Say hello to co-founder, Remi Aliseo & get to know a bit about how she made her dream job a reality.((psssst... special discount included))1.) What was your journey like to get where you are now with JIVA?It has been a complete learning and growing process from the day Nikki showed me our first pattern, to start sewing up until now. I was in a career path of health and wellness when Nikki and I decided to put our all into JIVA. I have learned so much about building a business, independence and even discovering new things about myself throughout this journey. It has been a roller coaster ride, but I am so proud of what JIVA is today and what it is going to continue to grow into - and I am so thankful I can do it all with my sister!2.) What's your favorite part of Florida?The weather is my absolute favorite part of Florida. I grew up in New Jersey where we were only blessed with this weather 3- 4 months out of the year. It makes me a happier soul constantly being surrounded in beautiful weather and dreamy skies.3.) If you didn’t help start JIVA, what would you be doing?I was personal training when we first started JIVA, so I would have probably continued down that path and Nutrition Wellness , possibly a yoga teacher training course. Something I have a passion for.4.) What are your dreams for JIVA?I want to see JIVA be an extremely successful brand that is an inspiration for others around the world. JIVA being a lifestyle brand that is not only activewear, but filled with several different products.5.) Where do you see yourself in 5 years (personally)?In 5 years I will be 30 years old. I don’t like to look too far ahead, but I hope to have done some epic traveling and feeling really content of where I am in life.6.) What gets you out of bed in the morning?Sunlight! But honestly, getting out of bed in the morning is my biggest weakness- it's always a long process. I have to keep my curtains open so the sun beams in. If it's a rainy morning- I’m doomed. I try to schedule myself to take a yoga class first thing in the morning or go for a run by the beach. It’s always a great day starter!7.) What keeps you up at night?I have a bad habit of being on my phone or computer until I can’t keep my eyes open anymore. Researching or browsing around on social media.8.) What is your work out of choice?I love to run by the beach, but lately have been dabbling a lot more into yoga, a slow yin yoga is my absolute favorite. Both are very helpful when I need some mind clearing.9.) What do you feel makes JIVA stand out in the sea of active wear brands?I think that JIVA stands out because of its authenticity. We love to show the skeleton of JIVA; where it’s made, the time and passion put into it, and the faces behind the brand.10.) What’s your favorite product of JIVA?My favorite product by far are our full length flex leggings. They just fit so good and I forget I even have them on half of the time. I get so much use out of them year round. I also really love our bamboo scoop tanks - so comfy! I love the Nuvo Legging from our summer collection!11.) What is your favorite JIVA style?I love mixing our bamboo scoop tank tops with leggings or shorts. Its such a comfortable but sporty look and you could wear it to the gym or out and about!** USE CODE: REMISPICK FOR 15% OFF THE NUVO LEGGING **
Meet Melissa, owner and designer of Sweet Water Decor, an online boutique for all the pretty things! On her shop you can find everything from coffee mugs, apparel, stationary, + more! Melissa is not only a sweetheart, but she is also from Pittsburgh like me, and I just love seeing women kicking ass doing what they love! Here's our interview with this #girlboss babe.
- What is the first thing you do in the morning when you wake up that helps kick-start your day on the right track? The first thing I do is get connected with my business and followers. I check all of my email accounts, social media, and the business to see what happened overnight and start responding to emails and more! I always look forward to having to have my morning decaf coffee to start the day!
Do you have a go-to Motivational Mantra? Everything Happens For A Reason. If things go the way we don't want them to or something spectactular happens, I always believe everything happens for a reason. I always tell my friends and family this no matter the situation - there's a reason for it all!
Kicking-ass in your field of expertise can sometimes be a lot of work, how do you stay connected to your center on those inevitable tough days? I try not to let things bother me - in the beginning it was tough and I took everything to heart but you have to remain positive and focus on how much you have accomplished and how many beautiful lives you are touching each day and focus on that instead.
What are your MUST HAVES in your carry-on when you're about to leave town on a big jet plane? I love brining my Glamour Magazine and KIND bar with me on plane rides and long car rides. My new Eat Well Travel Often tote is also a huge must! It is perfect for plane rides and car rides to carry the necessities without being too big and bulky!
What is your favorite thing to do when you need some creative inspiration? I live in a beautiful small town that is filled with small businesses and the cutest houses. When I need inspiration I love going into the local shops and getting inspiration from everything and walking around town - I get ideas out of the blue, which is so great!
What’s your best piece of advice for our younger generation when it comes to following your passion? You know in your heart who you are and what you love. I always loved design and knew in the 4th grade that I wanted to be a designer someday. It took me until my late twenties to actually get back on that path after working in the corporate world after college but your heart knows and you need to follow that! If you have a business spirit follow that! I have no regrets not doing my business sooner as I needed all of my corporate retail experience to run the business like I do now. No matter what you are passionate about explore it - shadow someone who works in that field, and always, follow your dreams!
Favorite yoga pose for chillin’ out? I love down dog. I know it sounds crazy but when I need to just stretch from sitting so long or need to re-energize, down dog is my pose go-to! Working at my standing desk, you'll find me in tree pose a lot while working.
What’s the most recent inspirational book that you’ve read? I just read Girl Boss by Sophia Amoruso - it is fantastic! I challenge every #GIRLBOSS to read this book!
Do you have a nightly ritual that helps clear your mind for a restful sleep, creating a productive day to follow? My husband and I love falling asleep watching The Office before we go to bed. It helps us unwind from a crazy day at work and gives us a few laughs before we go to sleep!
Meet Kate Connell + Laura Dos Santos
1) What is the Sticky Mat Society story?
From the moment we met, we knew we were destined to work together. It was quite literally love at first conversation (believe it or not, we have yet to meet in person!) The Sticky Mat Society is the manifestation of our desire to work together and our shared passion for spreading yoga as a viable career option and really elevating the industry to a level of professionalism that still isn't widely spread. Plus it's WAY more fun to be doing all of this together!
2) Where does Sticky Mat Society find inspiration?
We're constantly playing virtual pinball back and forth throughout the day with ideas, texts, and "hey, this just happened" with each other. Our inspiration comes from our experiences in teaching, our musings as students, and from taking the pulse of our community -- whether that's listening in on conversations we're a part of, observing what people are saying out-loud, or underneath the surface. The Sticky Mat Society is both for our current selves and as a post-facto answer to all of the questions we wondered and wallowed in for years as new teachers and business owners.
3) Top 3 values of Sticky Mat Society?Elevating the Community — Because we all need more positive light in our lives.Candid Conversation — Holding back doesn't serve us.Persistence — It's going to be a bumpy ride, but we must persist.
4) As entrepreneurs, do you have go-to Motivational Mantras?
Our work through the podcast and Facebook group for Sticky Mat Society is about two things: sisterhood and elevating the yoga industry. We believe that with support and cheerleaders (plus hard, consistent work) we can have a huge imprint on the world as yoga teachers -- we already do.
This quote by Robin Benway on sisterhood, which she shares in The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, & June, sums it up for us: “Because there’s one thing stronger than magic: sisterhood.”
5) If there is a message you could send out to the world, what would it be?
The saying that nothing worth fighting for is easy, is a cliché, but it's so true. One of our values is persistence, because following your dharma is right, but it's not always easy. Sometimes you're going to be up and sometimes you're going to be down, but when you persist, it all evens itself out into something really beautiful.
6) What is the future of Sticky Mat Society?
We're planning on talking the sisterhood gig far and wide -- we regularly have a new idea on the horizon and are currently entertaining ideas for in-person pow-wows, immersion experiences, and more. Right now our eyes are on growing our podcast reach and supporting the sisters that join us in our Facebook community. As the podcast gains traction and as we see the momentum of SMS build, the future looks bright for all of us!
CONNECT WITH THE SISTERHOOD:
We have teamed up with lovely ladies from all over the Instagram world to bring you product reviews of our new Fall Line! Because although we know it's fabulous (we're a lil bias), we know that it always helps to get an outside perspective! :)
First we bring you @joelizzzzzzyoga who talks all about the print, the fabric, and the fit on her blog. How thick is the fabric? What's the waist band like? How's the print vibrancy? Too tight or just right?
Read on, and learn more! CLICK HERE
SAY HELLO TO @EVOLVEFITWEAR'S FOUNDER!
Jiva babes, meet Kyla Smith, the lady boss behind this one stop shop for all things fashionable activewear! We are proud to say that JIVA is now available on Evolefitwear.com, so we wanted to interview this gorgeous lady to learn more about the woman behind the leggings.
1) What is the first thing you do in the morning when you wake up that helps kick-start your day on the right track? I make coffee, play with my dog (@brixtonthekid) and watch just a little bit of the news. I’m starting to be more of a morning person getting up early- its still a bit of a struggle.
2) Do you have a go-to Motivational Mantra? “If you build it, they will come” (Stolen from the 90’s movie Field of Dreams). You just have to take a leap of faith and know what you are doing is the right course of action. It’s ok to over-analyze your decisions, but sometimes you just have to jump and believe you’ll land in the right spot. I read a simple quote the other day I like a lot: “Trust your instincts & stand behind your decisions.” Get past the analyzing part, and just start makin’ moves!
3) Kicking-ass in your field of expertise can sometimes be a lot of work, how do you stay connected to your center on those inevitable tough days? I love going for long hikes outside. I’m grateful to be able to live in the Pac NW where we have beautiful outdoor hikes packed full of trees. Getting away from the electronics is important. The over-stimulus of technology on a day-to-day basis is pretty overwhelming. I bring my phone with me everywhere in case of an emergency, but I don’t listen to music, respond to messages, or even look at my phone until I’m done with “my time.”
4) What are your MUST HAVES in your carry-on when you're about to leave town on a big jet plane? I’m embarrassed to follow up with this answer after the previous question but my real only essentials are my laptop, iPad, and all the chargers! I forget about ½ of the things I need on the trip, but I’m convinced I subconsciously do that to keep trips interesting. However, I never forget my electronics! It’s a constant struggle to not forget the electronics, but then to ignore them- haha ;)
5) What is your favorite thing to do when you need some creative inspiration? I love talking to other people about ideas because it really gets the brain flowing and looking at a situation from a different perspective. Most of the time I will get together with someone here at Evolve. I hate to toot our own horn, but our team is amazing and they have better ideas than me!
6) What’s your best piece of advice for our younger generation when it comes to following your passion? Well my biggest advice to get ahead in life is to not have a sense of entitlement. You have to work hard to get the things you want. Somehow the younger kids that are now teens or early 20’s have been conditioned when they are growing up that “they can get anything they want” (which is a spin off of the phrase “you can do anything you want”). But the missing link is that you have to make those things happen. The universe isn’t going to give you something you feel like you deserve. Before starting Evolve, I always had 2-3 jobs, and if I wanted to learn something I’d offer to work somewhere for free. I didn’t expect to get paid, just the knowledge and experience was the payment. (I didn’t have financial support, so I would still work another hourly job to support myself). People notice if you have a genuine interest in things and I guarantee good things will come out of that.
7) Favorite yoga pose for chillin’ out? For chilling out? I love getting a block under my shoulder blades as a wonderful heart opener.
8) What’s the most recent inspirational book that you’ve read? I recently read GirlBoss (really connected to Sofia and the huge empire that she’s built). I loved reading it because she really spoke about ecommerce and the (un)glamorous side of starting a business. She painted a realistic picture of being cooped up in in her apartment in a big pink bathrobe for months on end barely talking to anyone. (That was totally me too!) My all time favorite business book is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rynd- it’s quite a hefty read, but well worth it!
9) Do you have a nightly ritual that helps clear your mind for a restful sleep, creating a productive day to follow? Well, after dinner I always take my dog for a walk in the neighborhood, and then after that I make some tea and watch a show or two. It’s probably not as “healthy” as yoga or reading, but after a full day of staring at text on a computer, I need to do something less thought provoking. Right now I’m really into Homeland and Ray Donovan- they are sooo good!