JIVA's go-to photographer
Need a photographer in Florida? Book this girl. This lady is so so talented, seriously! Our founder Nikki really wanted to showcase this girlboss on the blog, and for obvious reasons- she's the real deal! She shot out Spring 2016 collection that is due out mid March (soo excited!!), and when I went on her website to check out her work, I was blown away! Simply stunning. Her dream series was a personal favorite along with her nature photos. The way she captures life is so authentic and beautiful, and I am so happy to bring you this interview from our go-to photographer!
1) What is the first thing you do in the morning when you wake up that helps kick-start your day on the right track?
I get up, have my coffee, and then I hit the gym! Sometimes it’s tough to get myself to go, but I always feel so good after I workout
2. Do you have a go-to Motivational Mantra?
I make sure to always say my gratitude. It can change your whole mindset if you just take a few minutes to be quiet and think about what you’re thankful for. I think saying affirmations are great too.
3) Kicking-ass in your field of expertise can sometimes be a lot of work, how do you stay connected to your center on those inevitable tough days?
Sometimes I overwork, or put a little too much pressure on myself. When I start feeling like that I go talk to my mom about whatever is on my mind. She always gets me to take a step back and view things a little differently. Thank you mom!
4) What are your MUST HAVES in your carry-on when you're about to leave town on a big jet plane?
Headphones, chapstick, all of my camera gear, and some healthy snacks!
5) What is your favorite thing to do when you need some creative inspiration?
I put on some good music and scroll through tons of photography blogs. I also look at the work of photographers who I aspire to be like. That motivates me, and gets me excited about starting a new project!
6) How do you go about setting goals?
I sit down and think about where I want to be in a few months. I always think big, but that pushes me to work really hard. I figure out what my end goal is and then plan out what I need to do to achieve it.
7) What’s your best piece of advice for our younger generation when it comes to following your passion?
Don’t worry about what others think, and don’t be intimidated by others who have the same passion as you. There will always be competition in your field of work but you can’t let that scare you. Be different, and be proud of what you do!
In action shooting JIVA's spring line due out mid March!
8) Favorite yoga pose for chillin’ out?
Child’s pose and Cobra pose are definitely the most comforting to me.
9) What’s the most recent inspirational book that you’ve read?
I recently read Ask and it is Given by Esther & Jerry Hicks. It’s about the laws of the universe, and how your thoughts manifest into reality. Keeping a positive, happy mindset it crucial to success.
10) Do you have a nightly ritual that helps clear your mind for a restful sleep, creating a productive day to follow?
Every night I have tea before I go to sleep. Lately I’ve been making lemon, cayenne, honey tea because I know it’s really detoxifying, it also tastes really good! Before I go to sleep I think about everything I’m thankful for. Doing that makes me feel relaxed, and I almost always wake up in a good mood.
Connect with Shaye (or book her!):
Get your priorities straight!
It's Monday and that means that most of us are hustling to get shit done and plan out what needs done this week. But did you put happiness on the agenda? Did you plan to do things that also bring you pleasure, aside from the regular to-dos'? I have a funny feeling that for many of us, happiness and pleasure take a back seat in our weekly plans.
But why is that? I think it has something to do with our belief that pleasure for the sake of pleasure can be a waste of precious time; however, I'm here to tell you that it's not! When planned with some purpose into your weekly or daily schedule, or if you at least leave free space for YOU without the intentional planning, I believe that it makes you a better person who shows up more fully for pretty much everything..work, kids, husbands, coworkers, etc. In other words, make time for your joy, and watch your week feel a lot more productive and enjoyable! #mondaymantra
In case you missed it...
Here's a recap of some of the best motivational mantras or messages given to us from the WE DIG YOUR HUSTLE blog series, which has featured girl bosses from all different entrepreneurial backgrounds this past year!
We truly hope that you have enjoyed this series, and we look forward to doing more in 2016!
Interested in being interviewed? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss some details and tell us all about you :)
The Best Motivational Messages of 2015
Evole Fitwear, Kyla-“If you build it, they will come” (Stolen from the 90’s movie Field of Dreams). You just have to take a leap of faith and know what you are doing is the right course of action. It’s ok to over-analyze your decisions, but sometimes you just have to jump and believe you’ll land in the right spot. I read a simple quote the other day I like a lot: “Trust your instincts & stand behind your decisions.” Get past the analyzing part, and just start makin’ moves!
Buddhi Box, Maxine-Not a quote or quick mantra, but whenever I start to need some serious motivation, I remind myself that I am privileged to wake up each day and get to do something I choose and that I am passionate about. As a woman in this big, vast world, this freedom is a privilege, and I will not take it for granted.
Rooted Beauty, Kim-“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the decision that something else is more important than fear.” ~ Ambrose Redmoon
Haute Chocolate, Rachel-“I am enough” – as entrepreneurs we are constantly being challenged outside of our comfort zone. There are lots of times when I feel self-doubt creeping in and I need to remind myself that I am enough to keep moving forward.
Rock Your Bliss, Mary Beth Larue-Happiness Equals Reality Minus Expectations
The Yellow Conference, Joanna-I love the quote “Don’t ask what the world needs, ask what makes you come alive, because the world needs people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
The Farmer’s Daughter Flowers, Lauren-First, “Do it with passion or not at all” - Rosa Nochette Carey. I try to apply it with everything I do. What’s the point if I am not going to try to do my very best?
Second, “You get in life what you have the courage to ask for” - Orpah Winfrey. I think to myself that it can never hurt to ask, and the worst thing they can say is no. I’ve gotten a lot of no’s, but I’ve gotten even more yes’s.
Sweet Water Décor, Melissa-Everything Happens For A Reason. If things go the way we don't want them to or something spectactular happens, I always believe everything happens for a reason. I always tell my friends and family this no matter the situation - there's a reason for it all!
Meet Melissa, owner and designer of Sweet Water Decor, an online boutique for all the pretty things! On her shop you can find everything from coffee mugs, apparel, stationary, + more! Melissa is not only a sweetheart, but she is also from Pittsburgh like me, and I just love seeing women kicking ass doing what they love! Here's our interview with this #girlboss babe.
- What is the first thing you do in the morning when you wake up that helps kick-start your day on the right track? The first thing I do is get connected with my business and followers. I check all of my email accounts, social media, and the business to see what happened overnight and start responding to emails and more! I always look forward to having to have my morning decaf coffee to start the day!
Do you have a go-to Motivational Mantra? Everything Happens For A Reason. If things go the way we don't want them to or something spectactular happens, I always believe everything happens for a reason. I always tell my friends and family this no matter the situation - there's a reason for it all!
Kicking-ass in your field of expertise can sometimes be a lot of work, how do you stay connected to your center on those inevitable tough days? I try not to let things bother me - in the beginning it was tough and I took everything to heart but you have to remain positive and focus on how much you have accomplished and how many beautiful lives you are touching each day and focus on that instead.
What are your MUST HAVES in your carry-on when you're about to leave town on a big jet plane? I love brining my Glamour Magazine and KIND bar with me on plane rides and long car rides. My new Eat Well Travel Often tote is also a huge must! It is perfect for plane rides and car rides to carry the necessities without being too big and bulky!
What is your favorite thing to do when you need some creative inspiration? I live in a beautiful small town that is filled with small businesses and the cutest houses. When I need inspiration I love going into the local shops and getting inspiration from everything and walking around town - I get ideas out of the blue, which is so great!
What’s your best piece of advice for our younger generation when it comes to following your passion? You know in your heart who you are and what you love. I always loved design and knew in the 4th grade that I wanted to be a designer someday. It took me until my late twenties to actually get back on that path after working in the corporate world after college but your heart knows and you need to follow that! If you have a business spirit follow that! I have no regrets not doing my business sooner as I needed all of my corporate retail experience to run the business like I do now. No matter what you are passionate about explore it - shadow someone who works in that field, and always, follow your dreams!
Favorite yoga pose for chillin’ out? I love down dog. I know it sounds crazy but when I need to just stretch from sitting so long or need to re-energize, down dog is my pose go-to! Working at my standing desk, you'll find me in tree pose a lot while working.
What’s the most recent inspirational book that you’ve read? I just read Girl Boss by Sophia Amoruso - it is fantastic! I challenge every #GIRLBOSS to read this book!
Do you have a nightly ritual that helps clear your mind for a restful sleep, creating a productive day to follow? My husband and I love falling asleep watching The Office before we go to bed. It helps us unwind from a crazy day at work and gives us a few laughs before we go to sleep!
Mermaids and Mantras
We bring you Britta Jade, or “The Mermaid Yogi!” Britta is ridiculously inspiring with a serious litany of accomplishments under her belt: Creator of both B Tru Yoga and the TruBlu Foundation to protect the sea, she has her 500 hr RYT, she is a 300 hr certified Ayurvedic Counselor, Reiki healer, and AIDA3 star free diver!
Britta hosts unique yoga retreats all over the world and shares her deep love of yoga and the sea! So are you totally motivated yet?! We sure are, which is why we knew that we had to interview her to share all of her passion with you so that you too can believe in the beauty of your wildest dreams and discover your purpose!
Keep reading for more insight!
1) What is the first thing you do in the morning when you wake up that helps kick-start your day on the right track? I snuggle my cat, Piper. She is precious in the AM. She walks up on my chest and purrs and wants to be pet. When I actually get up I drink a glass of room-temp. water. I know a lot of people say to put lemon in it but for me that’s too intense in the AM! I’m a pitta dosh as well and lemon tends to aggravate my stomach…so plain water it is :) While I’m drinking it I snuggle my other cat, Ricky…he has a different ritual from Piper, but they both get their love and cuddle in before all else :) It’s heaven.
2) Do you have a go-to Motivational Mantra?
These days, “This too shall pass,” has been very helpful.
3) Kicking-ass in your field of expertise can sometimes be a lot of work, how do you stay connected to your center on those inevitable tough days? I accept. When it’s tough I let it be tough. When I lose my center, I lose my center. I keep my focus on trying to be the best I can but know I can’t skip the steps and all the grey areas in between. So, I just let it flow and wait it out :) I do practice yoga and meditate daily and this does help by sending a message to my heart that I love myself…and doing this daily definitely enhances the good and the bad days.
4) What are your MUST HAVES in your carry-on when you're about to leave town on a big jet plane?
A travel yoga mat. A good water bottle. Jasmine chapstick. Lavender oil. Kindle. Music. Scarf, socks, tights, and a sweater. Sometimes an ugly Doll…to use as a pillow ;) …and my crystals usually come on my carry on too :)
5) What is your favorite thing to do when you need some creative inspiration? Look at the ocean. Cry. Write poetry.
6) What’s your best piece of advice for our younger generation when it comes to following your passion?
You are worthy of a beautiful life. Never let your fear or disbelief stand in the way of that. See it, feel it, believe it, and say thank you ahead of time. Integrate your own desires with the needs of the Earth for ultimate purpose and passion.
7) Favorite yoga pose for chillen’ out?
Supta Baddha Konasana!
8) Do you have a nightly ritual that helps clear your mind for a restful sleep, creating a productive day to follow? I drink a glass of water before bed. I usually do a lavender inhale. I always like to be clean and showered and oiled :) I snuggle my cats and read a few chapters of something inspirational then pass out to that :)