Say hello to co-founder, Remi Aliseo & get to know a bit about how she made her dream job a reality.((psssst... special discount included))1.) What was your journey like to get where you are now with JIVA?It has been a complete learning and growing process from the day Nikki showed me our first pattern, to start sewing up until now. I was in a career path of health and wellness when Nikki and I decided to put our all into JIVA. I have learned so much about building a business, independence and even discovering new things about myself throughout this journey. It has been a roller coaster ride, but I am so proud of what JIVA is today and what it is going to continue to grow into - and I am so thankful I can do it all with my sister!2.) What's your favorite part of Florida?The weather is my absolute favorite part of Florida. I grew up in New Jersey where we were only blessed with this weather 3- 4 months out of the year. It makes me a happier soul constantly being surrounded in beautiful weather and dreamy skies.3.) If you didn’t help start JIVA, what would you be doing?I was personal training when we first started JIVA, so I would have probably continued down that path and Nutrition Wellness , possibly a yoga teacher training course. Something I have a passion for.4.) What are your dreams for JIVA?I want to see JIVA be an extremely successful brand that is an inspiration for others around the world. JIVA being a lifestyle brand that is not only activewear, but filled with several different products.5.) Where do you see yourself in 5 years (personally)?In 5 years I will be 30 years old. I don’t like to look too far ahead, but I hope to have done some epic traveling and feeling really content of where I am in life.6.) What gets you out of bed in the morning?Sunlight! But honestly, getting out of bed in the morning is my biggest weakness- it's always a long process. I have to keep my curtains open so the sun beams in. If it's a rainy morning- I’m doomed. I try to schedule myself to take a yoga class first thing in the morning or go for a run by the beach. It’s always a great day starter!7.) What keeps you up at night?I have a bad habit of being on my phone or computer until I can’t keep my eyes open anymore. Researching or browsing around on social media.8.) What is your work out of choice?I love to run by the beach, but lately have been dabbling a lot more into yoga, a slow yin yoga is my absolute favorite. Both are very helpful when I need some mind clearing.9.) What do you feel makes JIVA stand out in the sea of active wear brands?I think that JIVA stands out because of its authenticity. We love to show the skeleton of JIVA; where it’s made, the time and passion put into it, and the faces behind the brand.10.) What’s your favorite product of JIVA?My favorite product by far are our full length flex leggings. They just fit so good and I forget I even have them on half of the time. I get so much use out of them year round. I also really love our bamboo scoop tanks - so comfy! I love the Nuvo Legging from our summer collection!11.) What is your favorite JIVA style?I love mixing our bamboo scoop tank tops with leggings or shorts. Its such a comfortable but sporty look and you could wear it to the gym or out and about!** USE CODE: REMISPICK FOR 15% OFF THE NUVO LEGGING **
5 Health Benefits Of Yoga
“Yoga is selfless, cleansing, freeing, balancing, inspiring, and joyfully performed: a vision in which one experiences peaceful interconnectedness with all life around them.” Or at least so says The Bhagavad Gita, written thousands of years ago, long before anyone uttered the words “downward facing dog.”
Yoga has mutated and transformed before our very eyes. Some yoga practitioners barely move, while others sweat from the backs of their knees (by choice). No matter what your practice looks like, yoga is a very healthy thing indeed. Here are five amazing health benefits that should make you feel great about your decision to roll out your mat:
Staves Off Stress And Anxiety
Studies have shown that yoga practitioners are significantly less anxious, depressed, tense, angry and fatigued after class than they are before. This is hardly surprising. However, the health benefits of yoga are not just contained to that hour of class. Practicing yoga can certainly have physical consequences, such as lower blood pressure, but it can also allow you to take a step back from rash reactions. That deep breathing is just as effective after an argument as it is in an incense-scented room.
Yoga May Lower Your Risk Of Cancer
A 2013 study tried to look into how yoga may improve wellness and it found that there was a rapid effect on gene expansion. There was a greater change in circulating cancer-fighting immune cells after a series of gentle postures, meditation and pranayama (breathing exercises). Pretty amazing yoga magic, if you ask us.
It Can Help With Low Back Pain
A staggering amount of people (some suggest 80%) will experience some form of low back pain in our lives. This can be debilitating and worsened by the shapes we place our bodies in again and again. Slouching over a computer may become our baseline, but this doesn’t have to be the case. A study placed yoga at the same level of effectiveness as stretching with a physical therapist. One thing is for certain: our bodies crave movement. Yoga’s ability to stretch the spine in all directions can help us to feel healthier and pain-free.
Adding to the list of astounding health benefits, a study showed that yoga had a positive effect in the management of type II diabetes by decreasing blood glucose levels. The postulation is that the mindful movement associated with yoga is excellent for improving digestion, and therefore, improving blood sugar. Helping move things along, as it were, is a good practice for all of us.
It Can Enhance Mental Health
Mental illnesses are one of the leading causes of disability worldwide. Yoga has been reviewed as helpful for people living with depression, schizophrenia, anxiety or sleep disorders. Studies suggest that yoga influences neurotransmitters, inflammation and oxidative stress in a manner similar to anti-depressants and psychotherapy. This does not mean that it will stand in for medication, but it can work wonderfully as an adjunct to strengthen mental health.
It may feel like a simple thing to do: show up at a studio to stretch and have some time away from your obligations. However, science is proving that this slow hour may be an incredibly beneficial change to the quality of your life. So what are you waiting for? Get on your mat today!
Courtney Sunday went to her first yoga class in the late 1990s. It took some time for her to get hooked but once she did, she went to a teacher training, claiming adamantly that she would never teach. That didn’t work out so well. Courtney now leads 200-hour teacher trainings around the world and works as a freelance writer. You can find out more about her at www.courtneysunday.com and https://somuchyoga.com.
Mermaids and Mantras
We bring you Britta Jade, or “The Mermaid Yogi!” Britta is ridiculously inspiring with a serious litany of accomplishments under her belt: Creator of both B Tru Yoga and the TruBlu Foundation to protect the sea, she has her 500 hr RYT, she is a 300 hr certified Ayurvedic Counselor, Reiki healer, and AIDA3 star free diver!
Britta hosts unique yoga retreats all over the world and shares her deep love of yoga and the sea! So are you totally motivated yet?! We sure are, which is why we knew that we had to interview her to share all of her passion with you so that you too can believe in the beauty of your wildest dreams and discover your purpose!
Keep reading for more insight!
1) What is the first thing you do in the morning when you wake up that helps kick-start your day on the right track? I snuggle my cat, Piper. She is precious in the AM. She walks up on my chest and purrs and wants to be pet. When I actually get up I drink a glass of room-temp. water. I know a lot of people say to put lemon in it but for me that’s too intense in the AM! I’m a pitta dosh as well and lemon tends to aggravate my stomach…so plain water it is :) While I’m drinking it I snuggle my other cat, Ricky…he has a different ritual from Piper, but they both get their love and cuddle in before all else :) It’s heaven.
2) Do you have a go-to Motivational Mantra?
These days, “This too shall pass,” has been very helpful.
3) Kicking-ass in your field of expertise can sometimes be a lot of work, how do you stay connected to your center on those inevitable tough days? I accept. When it’s tough I let it be tough. When I lose my center, I lose my center. I keep my focus on trying to be the best I can but know I can’t skip the steps and all the grey areas in between. So, I just let it flow and wait it out :) I do practice yoga and meditate daily and this does help by sending a message to my heart that I love myself…and doing this daily definitely enhances the good and the bad days.
4) What are your MUST HAVES in your carry-on when you're about to leave town on a big jet plane?
A travel yoga mat. A good water bottle. Jasmine chapstick. Lavender oil. Kindle. Music. Scarf, socks, tights, and a sweater. Sometimes an ugly Doll…to use as a pillow ;) …and my crystals usually come on my carry on too :)
5) What is your favorite thing to do when you need some creative inspiration? Look at the ocean. Cry. Write poetry.
6) What’s your best piece of advice for our younger generation when it comes to following your passion?
You are worthy of a beautiful life. Never let your fear or disbelief stand in the way of that. See it, feel it, believe it, and say thank you ahead of time. Integrate your own desires with the needs of the Earth for ultimate purpose and passion.
7) Favorite yoga pose for chillen’ out?
Supta Baddha Konasana!
8) Do you have a nightly ritual that helps clear your mind for a restful sleep, creating a productive day to follow? I drink a glass of water before bed. I usually do a lavender inhale. I always like to be clean and showered and oiled :) I snuggle my cats and read a few chapters of something inspirational then pass out to that :)
Since the beginning of time, beauty has been intertwined with women, and most likely it will always be that way. And although now we have a greater acceptance of how powerful and strong women are, aside from just being beautiful, there is something innately feminine about beauty. Take away all the ego and what’s left is just a divine, beautiful woman who is influential in her own womanly ways.
This is how I see Rooted Beauty skincare. It’s a beauty/skincare company that has dropped the superficial beauty and focused on real, rooted beauty. With every RB purchase, you’re helping a woman in need escape extreme poverty with their Woman 2 Woman project and its sponsors. They essentially assign a beauty product to a woman in need, and with every purchase of that item a percentage goes towards the identified woman. You can check out how close each woman is to being funded in her dreams HERE.
That’s beauty at work. That’s Rooted Beauty.
Say Hi to Kim! I interviewed the founder, Kim Garrett, about all things Rooted Beauty, and this is what she had to say...
What is the Rooted Beauty story?
I’ve always had a passion for beauty and skincare products and wanted to start my own beauty company. When I thought about how much money goes into the beauty industry, I thought that it would be really powerfully to take even just a portion of that revenue and redistribute it to help women – so many women could be helped!
There are so many organizations doing amazing work to help empower women out of oppression; however, the organizations are always limited in their impact by the availability of funds.
It became my dream to take a portion of the billions of dollars pumped into the beauty industry and redistribute those funds to change and empower the lives of women around the world. The larger Rooted Beauty becomes, the more women’s lives will be transformed and the idea of thousands of women’s lives being transformed through the sale of skincare that is healthy and fun for consumers to use was something that I had to step out in Faith and pursue.
Where does Rooted Beauty find inspiration?
In the stories of the women whose lives we’re helping to change. Hearing the trials that these women are faced with is a constant reality check for me. It constantly inspires me to continue to work for their empowerment and freedom.
Top 3 values of Rooted Beauty?
- Selflessness 2. Authenticity 3. Honesty
As an entrepreneur, do you have a go-to Motivational Mantra?
“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the decision that something else is more important than fear.” ~ Ambrose Redmoon
If there is a message you could send out to the world, what would it be?
“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the decision that something else is more important than fear.” ~ Ambrose Redmoon
What is the future of Rooted Beauty?
The future is never certain, but it is my hope to transform the lives of thousands of women through innovative natural skincare!
Alyssa’s Product Review
Products Reviewed: Kiwi Melon Calming Facial Scrub | Raspberry Citrus Invigorating Facial Exfoliator| Raspberry Citrus Invigorating Facial Wipe| Passionfruit Lip Butter
Price: $9.99 | 5.99 | 4.99
At First Glance:
When I first got this collection, I was super excited at how cute everything was (I’m a sucker for branding). Upon checking everything out, I was really impressed with the overall packaging; I mean how adorable are these? In my mind, better branding usually means better product because they truly care about the little things, like color and font, so imagine the detail they put into the actual ingredients!
Which brings me to just that…as soon as I opened the package, I immediately started reading all of the ingredients to give you all the best possible review…Every product is hypoallergenic, gluten free, paraben free, no chemicals, and no artificial fragrances. If it helps you trust their quality control, note that they are sold in Whole Foods.
Now let’s break down the 4 products for sake of ease.
1) Kiwi Melon Calming Facial Scrub- LOVE IT. I started using this to replace my facial wash because I ran out, and although I was reluctant to try a new one, I found that this stuff worked just as amazing as my last facial wash. It has tiny little scrubbies, but they aren’t abrasive at all, it goes on super silky, and it also smells wonderful! Smells exactly how it’s described, Kiwi Melon! My skin is super smooth and no breakouts to be had after using it for 2.5 weeks. *Organic Goji berry used
2) Raspberry Citrus Invigorating Facial Wipe- Overall, I like the wipes. I can’t say that I absolutely love them, but I think it’s about preference. For me, their scent is a bit strong for a facial wipe (very fragrant), and they are bubbly/sudsy without adding water; I usually buy wipes that don’t leave any type of residue, but then again, the bubbles do go away right away! It’s more or less a texture thing for me, but they certainly left my skin feeling soft, totally zapped the eye makeup, and I had a no residue feeling on my skin (you don’t need to rinse after using). This is one of their best selling products, so give it a try!
3) Passionfruit Lip Butter- First off, I love that the packaging is biodegradable, and I know you will too. Second, I enjoyed the light smell, and it goes on nice and smooth with no clumping, but nice hydration. It’s super lightweight and slender to fit into your pockets too.*
*Here is an example of a Woman 2 Women project success story:
A portion of the proceeds for this product helped Rena receive the initial supplies and training she needed to sell vegetables in the local marketplace. The opportunity to sell in the local marketplace will enable Rena to provide for herself and her family and break free from the cycle of extreme poverty. Now Rumi will benefit from Passionfruit lip butter sales, and the cycle of giving back continues!
Nikki’s Product Review
Products Reviewed: Raspberry Citrus Invigorating Facial Exfoliator| Raspberry Citrus Invigorating Facial Wipe| Passionfruit Lip Butter
Price: $9.99 | 5.99 | 4.99
At First Glance:
I totally LOVED the packaging & vibrancy of the packaging itself. Like Alyssa, I also have a sweet spot for well thought out branding & Rooted has just that! All the information you generally want to know when immediately looking at a new product is right there on the front of the package, nothing to hide; free of chemicals, parabens & artificial fragrances. I like it!
First thing I did was pop the cap on the facial exfoliator and take a deep inhale, nothing but yummyness going on! This action ensued through the rest of the products and my nose was very pleased!
Below is my take on the products:
1) Raspberry Citrus Invigorating Facial Exfoliator- I REALLY enjoyed this product, probably my favorite out of all 3. My skin always appreciates a good at home exfoliation & truthfully they are hard find. I always feel like if I am exfoliating and opening up my pores, I only want the best of ingredients getting inside - this product delivers. I used a small amount & it spreads easily leaving your skin smooth and fresh! I will be working this into my weekly beauty routine and plan to use it two - three times a week!
2) Raspberry Citrus Invigorating Facial Wipe- Let me preface this review with the fact that I am generally not a facial wipe kind of gal. They do smell amazing and I thought I should give them a try because you never know! I was not in love with the way they made my skin feel, just a little less cleansed than the other facial products Rooted has. However, my sister Remi uses facial wipes on the regular & she really enjoyed them! She did say that they left a small feeling of stickiness, although completely removed her makeup & ready to continue on with her cleansing routine. As Alyssa mentioned, I recommend trying them out if this is a product you normally use, because they are their number one selling product!
3) Passionfruit Lip Butter- This is a really innovative style of packaging and I do LOVE the concept of it containing no plastic & being biodegradable. The butter itself is not too overpowering in scent and glides on smoothly. The only factor that comes into play with the packaging is as you used it it tends to slide back down into the tube, but as long as you keep some pressure on the bottom then you can avoid this from happening. Overall, a great product to keep on hand!
As always, thank you so much for reading through this review and sharing with your fellow beauty babes! If you've got a product you feel compliments the JIVA Lifestyle [healthy, active & feminine] then shoot an email over to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
Try Rooted Beauty for yourself, and help a fellow sister in need! Also, if you’re one of the 1st JIVA Fall orders placed (releases October 1st), then you will receive a free Rooted Beauty Surprise!!
Hello Sweet September
With the ninth month of the year upon us, BIG things are happening around here, and we can't even begin to describe how grateful we are for them!
Enjoy a sneak peak of the new Fall Collection set to launch online September 16th! It's our biggest line yet, and we have put a hell of a lot of sweat equity into making this collection top notch for all you sexy, soulful, fit babes out there who want to look and feel AMAZING.